Freeman’s Journal, 21 September 1921
The first meetings of the Northern Ireland Parliament took place in two locations: Belfast City Hall and Assembly College (now known as Union Theological College). But such temporary accommodation could not be used forever, and the unionist representatives who turned up to the early sittings thought a dedicated site would reinforce the permanence of the new state. The Freeman’s Journal reported on 21 September that a more permanent parliament site had been found: Stormont Castle.
On the motion of the Prime Minister, the House approved of Stormont Castle demesne as the place where the new Parliament houses and Ministerial buildings should be erected, and as the place to be determined as the seat of the Government of Northern Ireland.”